Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Absolute Joy

The other night, I had a realization. But prior to that, 4 days before to be exact, I had this conversation with a friend:
Friend: Have you ever longed for something, and when it finally comes, you realize that the joy you had anticipated while waiting for that something to happen is several notches lower that when what you're longing for finally comes true? 
Me: I guess... Does getting excited over my Mac count?  And when I finally get it, I find that the excitement isn't as 'exciting' as I imagined it... 
Friend: I asked Sr. Mary about it, and you know what she said? 
Me: What? 
Friend: God doesn't give us absolute joy over something or someone so we will be reminded that only He can give us that joy.
Trite as it may sound, I would have to agree.  That conversation really got me thinking about... things.


For the past year or two, I had been praying about my state of life.  I have shared my discernment process with mature Christian women who I know will pray with me and guide me with their wisdom.  I read books about finding out about God's will.  But each time I am confronted with making a decision, I ask myself this question: Will I be truly happy if I go into a relationship?


Honestly, I never got an answer to that.  Why?  Because I refused to find out what the answer is.  Until that day last week.

Thus, the realization.


So what did I finally realize?  That yes, only God can satisfy me.  And yes, people will always disappoint me.  So does that mean I should settle for second best and just agree to be with anyone who comes my way?  Of course not!

God's best is still God's best.  He will not be perfect, for I am imperfect myself.  Yes, we will disappoint each other at times.  And when that time comes, it will be reminder for me to cry out to God so He can fill and satisfy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment